1 Chance 2 Dance (2014) Lexi Giovagnoli, Justin Ray, Rae Latt, Poonam Basu, Emily Deahl Movie Review

1 Chance 2 Dance (2014)   2/52/52/52/52/5

Lexi Giovagnoli in 1 Chance 2 Dance (2014)

Last Chance 2 Dance

After her parents marriage came to an end Gabby Colussi (Lexi Giovagnoli) along with her mum and brother leave LA and start again in a new town with her joining an East Coast high school midway through the semester. But she finds some things never change as she makes friends and learns about the mean girl clique that runs the school whilst finding herself divided by the attention of two guys. But Gabby always loved to dance, some thing she shared with her dad but stopped when he left, but now has a chance to enter a competition to achieve her dreams of becoming a dancer.

When you watch as many movies as I do you end up hyper aware of the cliches which so many movies are built around but at the same time become immune to this fact and don't let it disappoint you to greatly when all you get is the same cliches churned out again. But then some times you can't protect yourself from them and as I watched "1 Chance 2 Dance" the heavy handed nature of the cliches as one follows another was too much for me and despite the best intentions of director Adam Deyoe it made this movie hard work.

Justin Ray in 1 Chance 2 Dance (2014)

So what do I mean? Well for one we are talking a dance movie so you get all the typical elements of this from training to the competitive nature of some. We also have the new kid in school where we have a "Mean Girls" thing going on in an awfully over the top way as they try to intimidate Gabby. And of course there is the romance as Gabby finds herself torn between a nice guy and the bad boy of sorts, I say of sorts as Justin Ray as Brad is not that much of a bad boy and whilst I don't know how old Justin Ray is he looks older alongside his co-stars.

I could go on but the main thing I can say about "1 Chance 2 Dance" is that some of the actors seriously over act. It gets to the point that when you have someone trying to act nasty and I am not just on about one of the mean clique they end up coming across as camp in a pantomime bad guy sort of way. It is frankly horrible especially as at the other end of the scale there is some reasonable dramatic acting especially from Rae Latt as Gabby's troubled mum.

What this all boils down to is that "1 Chance 2 Dance" might entertain a young audience who won't notice the familiarity of it all or be put off by the camp nature of some of the acting. But for those who come across this hoping to be entertained by a hot dance move are likely to end up being seriously disappointed.

LATEST REVIEWS